Voting

Friday, March 4, 2011

Desthpicable Me- A Non Professional's Review


Yes, I so absolutely meant to spell it like that. It's Daffy Duck. Get it? "Your Desthpicable!!"

I believe that all good reviews should begin with a joke, so-

There you go.

It is one of those days, and no, not one of those days when you feel like you are Wile. E Coyote and the whole world is against you, one of those days when your sick. Yes, but don't feel sorry for me, I'm only minorly sick, save your feeling sorry for Mom, who is forced to slave away for me all day on that excuse.

But enough filler, was that video funny? If you don't know what I'm talking about, go and watch it first. It's my test. If you do not like that video, then you do not need to watch "Despicable Me"...your already living it.

After my depressing review of "What Set Up Pronoun Hair" and my enjoyable read but depressing watch of "Cosmos Rock" (tee hee, thesaurus again) I am ready and willing to review a movie that I really liked. And I really liked "Despicable Me".

The plot of the movie is pretty simple; Typecast villain Gru (voiced by Steve Carell, waxing a quasi-Russian dialect) hatches a plan to steal the moon, earning him the title of greatest super-villain, plus the approval of his mother (an un-recognizable Julie Andrews). However, in order to foil his arch-nemesis, he adopts three adorable orphans...and the rest is...pretty predictable.
But predictable is not always bad, as is the case here. Sure, the basic "Greedy, self-centered villain's heart is changed by three adorable children" formula has been used before (look back into your childhoods people, I'm talking about "Ducktales"...or maybe "Annie", whatever floats your boat) But it's still as heart-warming and funny as ever. And three little girl's good and bad points are (take it from me and parent's personal experience) pretty darn accurate. Plus Steve Carrell's Boris Badenov impression made the whole thing worth while. Oh yes, and the minions. Normally it bothers me when something is made so irresistibly cute and funny that it seems like a marketing ploy, but the minions were funny, and didn't get enough screen time to be annoying, so everyone lived happily ever after.

All-in-all, even though I haven't said so thus far, I highly recommend this movie for the whole family. It's one of those "Laugh, darn you, laugh!" films that you can't possibly sit through without at least giggling. Clean for the entire family, way more heartwarming then "Ducktales" ever was....but the theme song isn't near as snappy.


P.S. Take that Roger Ebert!! I have reviewed two of your movies! Ha ha Oldie! No, but seriously, I'm going to post a porky Pig video on here soon. If you do not laugh at it a little robot will come into house and suck your brain out while you sleep. If you even have one.

P.P.S. "Ducktales, Woo-oo!!!" Sorry, I couldn't resist. I don't know why the Looney Tunes picture. It just seemed to fit. Porky Pig. You understand.

2 comments:

wb4kvz said...

Notice how Vector-Victor...looks remarkably like Bill Gates? haha..
Also another subtle funny is the Bank of Evil has a little sign that says it was formerly known as Leiman Brothers.(If you don't know who that is ask you mom or dad)

wb4kvz said...

Notice how Vector/ Victor looks remarkably like Bill Gates?
Another subtle bit of humor is that the Bank or Evil has a little sign that say it was "formerly Leiman Brothers" ...If you don't know who that is ask your mom or dad...funny.